Armed Yacht ‘Peggy’
‘Peggy’ had an extra strake added to her hull, presumably to make her drier while sailing. Her hull planks are fastened with iron nails, which have mineralised and will have to be replaced to hold her together. Well over 95% of her timbers and fixings date from the 18th. or early 19th. centuries, but the damp conditions in her boathouse in Castletown, have taken their toll. In 1950 her keel, rudder and two of her lowest planks were replaced after Quayle’s house with ‘Peggy’ in her boathouse beneath were bequeathed to the Manx nation. She had been resting on her starboard side on damp ground, more or less forgotten, for 150 years.